Sunday, April 6, 2008

Nine day




So another nine-day cruise completed, meaning in just under three weeks we can leave the Caribbean behind and get to Europe. It can’t come soon enough. I love the Caribbean, but I really need to see something new. Even tropical paradises can get old after awhile. Busy week though. To start with I was informed of some errors I made in my previous posting. These errors are inexcusable and I’m glad my cast mates made it a point to make me feel a little stupid (as it is the only way I’ll learn). The schedule of the nine-day cruise is as follows Sundays are Samana. That is where the dogs on roofs and whale museum were; also I misspelled it in the previous blog. (Thank you Erica) I didn’t get off in Samana this week. It’s a nice enough port but we dock on a Sunday and most things are closed. There are some fun excursions from what I’ve heard but I need to save money for Europe.

Now Mondays are Tortola, which is always kind of fun. This is the island of narrow avenues and a great bookstore with an Internet café above it. The Internet wasn’t working this week so I just decided to wander with no agenda. I started taking pictures of interesting signage. My favorite being vote God into your heart. I don’t know why this had an affect on me. Something of the simplicity and silliness of the sign. That God and that faith in general are politicking to get into your heart and mind. Although the more I thought about it the word vote hit me. A vote is a conscious choice you have to step forward to make, it’s an action and not a passive acceptance of something. The sign might be a little silly but I think it carries more strength than this fast food church I saw. The other thing I loved was seeing a dianetics book listed under Satanism in a bookstore.

No comments: