Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Rum party contd'




Internet being what it is some of the pictures are on the last post and some are here.

So both the improv and the sketch shows were good this week. I feel like I have a real handle on the sketch show and I’m getting to experiment with how I approach each of the scenes. Even my character from pictionary is turning into something different than what it was on the Spirit. The show is exhausting though. One because I need to be in better shape and two I’m in a lot of the show either jumping around, dancing, or screaming.

To celebrate how well our sketch shows went we decided to have a Rum party. The Gowlands had been given a huge amount of rum by Erica’s folks. So we decided to do some cast bonding, and to make things more interesting we decided to play a game of Asshole. Except instead of sipping beer we’d be sipping rum. Things of course went off the rails pretty fast. Soon the president of the game was making up rules that included us giving personal information to each other, and working out hypothetical situations where if we didn’t have significant others which of the Jean Anne Ryan company dancers we would do and why. It seemed weird that when I answered honestly that there was that much glee in my choice, and joking threats of telling my wife. I think when my cast is drunk they forget what hypothetical means. It means imaginary. Although maybe I was too graphic in my descriptions for comedic effect. My wife Jamie can attest to the fact that when it comes to coming up with gross sexual hypotheticals I’m in another league, a league that I think is only inhabited by myself and my friend Brent Gordon.

Soon we were drunk enough, that like all good improvisers we started joking about rape. I believe at one point I said something like ‘Sorry for raping you, I thought I gave you exctasy but it turned out it was a rufee. Trust me I am having stern words with my dealer. Love Peter.” The next thing I know I look up from pouring a drink and everyone is wearing name tags saying “Sorry for raping you, love Peter.” I had to admit that it made me laugh. Then a few rounds later I look up from my cards and everyone is wearing name tags that read “Sorry for stealing you’re identity. Love Peter.” While funny it made me think maybe I should be a little more discerning about what information I give these people. We then decided we should get some food before the crew bar closed, we arrived five minutes too late and decided to dance out our frustrations. After we closed out the crew bar we went back to the rum room now with a bunch of other people in tow. This is where things get hazy. I know we played more asshole and there were some startling revelations that I will not include here, and then the next thing I knew me and Ryan were talking very loudly about improv and it was six in the morning. At which point I called it a night.


The improv shows were very good, but not because of my contributions. I never quite got over the rum from the previous night. So through both the shows I felt like a passenger and not a participant in the show. I hate that feeling. Especially when the rest of my cast is making brilliant choices and I can’t seem to rise to their level. Anyway I went to bed early and promised myself I would do better next week.

The first show was so family friendly and yet funny that I was truly agape in amazement. The kids went nuts for us and I’ve never seen people so eager to be participants. This one little boy came up and helped us with a game where we’re asked questions and each of us only says one word at a time. The kid couldn’t stop laughing and he had such an adorable laugh that shook his whole body. His grandmother later told us that he saw our sketch show and asked her if people could actually get paid to be funny. After she told him yes, he decided at the age of six that’s what he wanted to do. Youth of America you’re welcome for inspiring you.

The second show or adults only show was the perfect blend of risky material and just good solid scene work. It never got to gross or offensive. Once again the audience went apeshit. Damn this a good cast.

So for the record, Jamie I pantomimed have disgusting sex with another person. If I have broken the trust between us I understand, but let me assure that pantomime woman means nothing to me. I love you baby, I love you. Besides blame the Gowlands for shoving that invisible slut at me. There was a lot of rum and I’m sorry. Please forgive me. Oh by the way pantomime girl said she missed her period, don’t worry I’ll take care of it. I’ve just met a pantomime doctor who says he can take care of it for me. See nothing to worry about. Oh shit, the pantomime doctor just shot the pantomime girl in the stomach. Oh crap he’s a pantomime psycho with a phd not a real hypothetical doctor!! Whew! He was just eaten by a hypothetical bear. See baby problem solved!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

So proud of you, Peter. You're finally finding your place in this blogging world. I'm sad it wasn't our cast that brought it out in you...but at least it's out there.

Just another thing to add to your street cred. Have you heard about your rep in LA?